Total time: 32 minutes | Servings: 2
- 1-tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1-clove garlics, crushed
- Sliced hot pepper
- Ground black pepper
- 2 whole butterfish scaled, washed and pat dry. Cut into halves
- 2 cups room temperature water
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
2. Add the fresh thyme, hot pepper, and season with salt; continue to sauté for 1 minute. Meanwhile season fish with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Pour water into pan with sautéed onions, stir and bring to a boil. As soon as the pan comes to a boil, add the fish.
4. Turn the heat to high and let cook 15-17 minutes spooning the sauce intermittently over the fish, almost basting it.
5. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to pan, reduce heat to low and let the butter melt completely; again baste the fish with the sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. Toss in green onions, remove pan from heat and serve with bread, boiled ground provisions or mashed potatoes.